Scania 141 Tilt Trailer David W. Haig International Transport, Scotland - Hauliers of Renown
In 1946, David Wilkie Haig acquired an ex-war department Thornycroft lorry after returning to his home town of Bellshill and decided to set up a transport business. With the British economy struggling to recover from six years of war David was swamped with an increasing amount of customers and workload which would soon lead to the expansion of his one waggon fleet. By the 1960s he had acquired a fleet of over 40 trucks.
The opening of Coatbridge's Freightliner terminal proved a valuable source of work for the lorries and remains so today. The green, red and cream Haig vehicles are a familiar site as they travel across Scotland and the North of England. By 1969 the firm started its weekly Italian service which continues to this day.
Trips to Europe in the late 60s were often quite challenging for the drivers, with a lack of motorways and bypasses and inevitable customs delays, though nowadays the Italian runs can be done slightly quicker. The company's reputable and longstanding international services earned them 'Scottish European Haulier of the Year' at the 2002 Transport news Scottish Rewards.
In 1985 David Haig retired after 39 years in the industry which included being a founding member of The Road Haulage Association. Now in its third generation the Haig family fleet operates from a purpose built depot at Reema Road in Bellshill.
Caution: This item is an adult collectible designed for use by persons 14 years of age and older.